Black & Veatch Holding Company
Detroit, MI, United States
Direct and supervise the modification, repair, installation or maintenance of mobile or stationary radio transmitting,
broadcasting, and receiving equipment, and two‐way radio communications systems used in cellular telecommunications, mobile broadband, ship‐to‐shore, aircraft‐to‐ground communications, and radio equipment in service and emergency vehicles in accordance with all applicable plans, specifications, codes and industry standards. Plan and coordinate the efforts of crewmen under his/her supervision and motivate them to accomplish the work safely, correctly and efficiently. May help test and analyze network coverage.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Be able to perform all of the principal duties and accountabilities of craft workers under his/her supervision.
• Lead and support all safety related processes and programs as requested. Engage with your work team to ensure
we achieve zero injuries.
• Have an understanding of the scheduling, material control and unit man‐hour performance reporting. Become familiar with the Field Progress Management System (FPMS).
• Be able to create and execute a one week schedule. Be able to set and execute crew goals based on the project unit rates.
• Review crew's timecards for correct hours and phase coding.
• Report all accidents and near misses to supervisor. Participate in investigation process as needed. Review accidents and the causes with employees.
• Lead, complete, and sign off on daily pre‐job safety planning in the appropriate format. Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate or mitigate hazards. Assure all crew members understand, participate, and sign all pre‐job safety planning tools at start and end of shift.
• Understand and respond appropriately to all safety hazards and warning devices (i.e. back‐up alarms, smell of
smoke, different colored warning tags, warning sirens).
• Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean work environment.
• Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and
fractions rapidly and accurately.
• Listen to other employees and supervisor's suggestions, complaints, problems, safety concerns and
recommendations, evaluate each and then devise and implement a plan of action based on that evaluation.
Consult with supervisor and if needed HR on any issues.
• Provide on‐the‐job training to those individuals under his/her supervision.
• Train/teach safety practices, policies and procedures related to an employee's assigned tasks.
• Perform task planning to safely and efficiently carry out all aspects of that work assigned.
• Plan and communicate with supervisor to assure that an adequate supply of tools, materials and equipment are
• Gain a complete understanding of the scope of work and the related parts of the project. Develop a thorough
understanding of the project plans, specifications and schedule as they relate to that portion of the work assigned.
• Conduct tool box meetings and communicate safety concerns, work scope, plans and schedules to the crews.
• Assure employees produce quality work, meeting requirements of plans, specifications and industry standards.
• Read and understand work orders, blueprints, plans, datasheets, site drawings and specifications. Visualize two
dimensional drawings in three dimensions.
• With regard to that portion of the work assigned, develop complete understanding of contract plans and
specifications. Assure crews plan, lay‐out, diagram, install and/or repair all tower / telecommunications systems
in accordance with those plans and specifications.
• Observe functioning of installed equipment or systems to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation,
• Examine/inspect field conditions and identify problems, inaccuracies, and cost saving measures that arise or that
may be encountered. Take corrective actions as needed.
• Ensure that construction equipment is correctly operated, maintained, in good working order, and Daily Equipment Inspections are completed for equipment being used.
• Complete performance reviews of craft workers according to Craft Performance Assessment (CPA) Guidelines. Ensure that subordinates are qualified to perform their work as it relates to their level.
• Comply with Company Code of Conduct and jobsite policies
• Perform all other job related duties as requested by supervisor.
Must have working experience as a Tower Erector or equivalent combination of education and experience doing
tower work. Strong working knowledge of the construction, testing, maintenance, and repair of transmission,
broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of tower telecommunications systems and equipment. Must set
standards of excellence in leadership, safety, quality and productivity for the members of his/her crew. Must set
standards of excellence in leadership, safety, quality and productivity for the members of his/her crew. Ability to
understand and follow directions. Must have all necessary tools (see Substation Tool List). Must be at least 18 years
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Valid Driver’s License
• DOT Certification
• Good driving record – ability to comply with Company Driving Policy
• Anritsu Certification
• ComTrain Certified Climb/Rescue
• OSHA Training 10 hour
• RF Training
• Basic First Aid
• NCCER Fundamentals of Crew Leadership
• NCCER Project Supervision
• NCCER Project Management
Black & Veatch Holding Company
Website : http://www.bv.com
Black & Veatch strikes a balance that is rare for any industry. Our Mission sets the bar high – Building a World of Difference ®. We live up to that ideal by delivering reliable and innovative infrastructure solutions to our clients’ most complex challenges. The result is that Black & Veatch helps to improve and sustain the quality of life around the world.